TOPIC ONE: INTRODUCTION TO BIOLOGY
Biology is a study of living things or organism. Living things include bacteria, fungi, animals, plants etc. it is derived from two Greek words;
Bios – which means “Life”
Logos – which means “study”
The people who study biology are called Biologist. Very small organism are called microorganism. The simplest living things are made up of one cell these are called unicellular organism e.g. bacteria, protozoan and amoeba (also are called microscope organism). Large organisms are made up of many cells these are called multi-cellular organism e.g. fish, trees, man.
Life is the state of living which plants, animals, and other living organisms have before they die. The basic unit of life is cell. All living things are made up of cell, cell are so small that they cannot be seen with marked eye.
BRANCHES OF BIOLOGY
There are two main branches of biology
(1) Botany – Study of plants
(2) Zoology – Study of animals only
However there are many minor branches of biology dealing with different aspects of living things. Example;
IMPORTANCE OF STUDYING BIOLOGY
1. It helps a man to understand himself/herself better
2. Knowledge of biology enables human being to conserve the environment.
3. It helps man to evaluate environment uses such as pollution, global warming and environmental degradations.
4. Biology help to understand cause, symptoms, method of transmission, prevention, and treatment of diseases this improve the standard of living.
5. It provides answer to fundamental questions.
6. It helps us to enter in careers such as medicine, agriculture, reproductive, health and genetic Engineering.
7. Biology helps us appreciate nature.
THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN BIOLOGY AND OTHER SUBJECT FIELD
Biology related to many other field of study such as agriculture, medicine, pharmacy such as veterinary, medicine and nutrition.
Biology research finding on crops and livestock have led to improve agriculture production.
2. MEDICINE AND PHARMACY
Medicine is the study of prevention and treatment and cure of disease.
Biology is used by dieticians to determine the kind of diets suitable for people with different health problems.
Biologists have developed varieties of trees that grow well in dry areas, also that mature fast so as to prevent desertification.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 5
- Assessments Yes