TOPIC ONE: GENERAL INTRODUCTION TO AGRICULTURE SCIENCE
Is the cultivation of land and breeding of animals and plants to provide food, fiber, medicinal plants and other products to sustain and enhance life.
OR Agriculture is the science or arts of farming, including cultivation of the soil for the growing of crops and the rearing of animals to provide food, wool, and other products.
ROLE OF SCIENCE IN AGRICULTURE
• Seeding and Harvesting machineries
• Deforestation equipments creating land for agriculture
• Seed development
• Drip irrigation
• Water pumping from deep
• Food preservation
BRANCHES OF AGRICULTURE SCIENCE
Agriculture is composed of five specialized branches. The five branches are:
1. Agronomy; Agronomy deals with soil management and the growing of crops.
2. Horticulture; Horticulture deals with the cultivation of fruits, vegetables, and ornamental crops.
3. Agricultural Engineering; Agricultural engineering involves knowledge of farm machines and equipment. It also deals with developing new systems and practices to address problems facing agriculture.
4. Agricultural Economics; Agricultural Economics deals with the business end of farming.
5. Animal Science; Animal Science is basically the breeding and caring of animal for specific purposes, such as for their meat, milk and/or fur.
IMPORTANCE OF AGRICULTURE
1. Agriculture provides foods
The food may be obtained from growing crops in the garden or from animal’s sources where we get meat, milk and its product, egg and blood.
2. Agriculture provides employment
Workers in ranches, coffee, tea and sisal estate and small holders’ farmers are all employed by agricultural sector.
Agriculture generates materials from which clothing is made. Fibre from cotton and other crops is processed in a textile industry to produce cloth. Woolen clothing and leather materials like shoes, belts, jackets and handbags are obtained from animals.
Crops, animals and animal products are sold for cash
5. Consumer goods:-
The manufactured products which farmers use for domestic purpose such as sugar, soap, cooking oil and others are all processed from raw materials obtained from the agriculture sector.
The agriculture sector generates the materials which farmers use to put up their houses. Shelter is one of the basic requirements of man.
7. Agriculture provides raw materials for industries.
Some animals such as oxen, donkey and camels are used on farms for ploughing and providing simple transport.
Crop residues are used as firewood or charcoal.
10. Social, Cultural, Traditional value:
Payment of dowry and fulfillment of traditional ceremonies.
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 0
- Assessments Yes